Intimate Skincare FAQ’s
What is intimate skincare?
Intimate skincare is a nicer way of saying, skincare for your vagina.
Why should I care about intimate skincare?
A healthy vagina means a healthier and happier you.
Your vaginal skin can be sensitive to many factors such as body washes, exercise, sex and menstruation all of which can throw off your pH-balance leaving you feeling less than your best.
So what is pH-balance? Cue a little bit of science!
pH is simply the measure of how acidic or alkali something is. It is a numerical scale ranging from 0-14 where 0 is the most acidic and 14 the most alkali. You skin loves a bit of acid (pH4.7-5.75) while your vagina is a lot more acidic (pH3.8-4.5/6.5). A pH of 7 is neutral, like water. Many women do not realize there is an ideal environment for your vagina and therefore, are unaware what may be causing you to feel uncomfortable down there.
Check out our PMS section for more information how periods, sex & menopause can affect the way you feel down there.
Why is pH-balance important?
The acidic environment of your vagina means that disease-causing bacteria cannot grow and reproduce very well. Keeping your vagina at the right pH ensures that good bacteria’s such as Lactobacilli, responsible for maintaining a good healthy vagina flora is not affected. Vagina that becomes less acidic can cause the levels of Lactobacilli to decrease thus allowing the bad bacteria to grow, take over and increase your chances of developing uncomfortable and irritable infections such as thrush and bacterial vaginosis (BV).
My vagina is self-cleaning. Why use vaginal skincare products?
SASS skincare range is for women who feel that water just isn’t enough. With SASS intimate skincare products you can be guaranteed that they are pH-balanced leaving you feeling great and safe knowing they are just right for your vagina.
- SASS is gynaecologically and dermatologically tested
- Cruelty-free (have never been and never will be tested on animals!)
- With the exception of the Intimate Protection Barrier*, the rest of the range is vegan-friendly.
* contains beeswax
Intimate Purifying Cleanser
What do you mean by suitable for internal use?
- Our product is suitable for use around both the external and internal vagina for cleansing
Is it suitable to use every time I shower and Bath?
- Yes, the product is suitable for everyday use as proved by dermatologists and approved by gynecologist’s. In fact, this product is specifically designed for everyday use to ensure internal and external intimate harmony of the vagina through promoting good bacterial growth versus bad microbes like that of thrush, bacterial vaginosis etc.
What are other types of products I could use?
- 1 in 4 women will use wipes or specific intimate washes. 75% of women will not do anything and gamble on natural cleansing or that of a normal shower gel which is not tailored to the environment of the vagina and only return to the doctor or various sets of specific products when they have a real problem
Can I use this over the rest of my body?
- You can and it will not harm you but we are especially tailored for the vagina. Whilst we have super-moisturising ingredients to help keep you at your intimate best, we would recommend that you continue to use your own face cream!
Intimate Freshness Gel
How long will I be protected for?
- This product should keep you protected from unwanted smells for at least 12 hours if you apply generously. But everyone is unique and if you do find that you need to re-apply then there is no risk in re-applying throughout the day or combining with our Intimate Refreshing Mist
Can I reapply this throughout the day?
- Yes, everyone is different and if you need to re-apply then there is no risk in re-applying throughout the day or combining with our Intimate Refreshing Mist
Can I use this over the rest of my body?
- You can and it will not harm you but we are especially tailored for the vagina. Whilst we have scent protection ingredients to help keep you at your intimate best, we would recommend that you continue to use specific products for your armpits etc!
Intimate Refreshing Mist
How often can I use this product?
- If you are finding you need to use this product all the time then you may have a medical issue and you should seek medical expertise. Nonetheless using this product as much and as often as you like should not cause you an issue as this was specifically built for your intimate best
How long will it last?
- The scent protection and cotton-fresh odour should last 3-4 hours. However, everyone is different and will apply different amounts at different times.
Can I use this product inside my vagina?
- This product was tailored for the most intimate use and whilst it is suitable for use internally we would not recommend continually doing this. It may well be that if smells or discharge remain that you have a problem whereby you should immediately seek medical expertise. For enduring maintenance and confidence, use our Intimate Purifying Cleanser to help maintain your intimate harmony and use the Mist on the go to ensure you constantly feel at your intimate best wherever and whenever you are.
Intimate Perfect Skin Concentrate
How long does it take before hair regrowth reduces?
- The hair growth rate starts to slow immediately on application. The result of this is that after 1 month of regular use you should see up to 56% less visible hair growth, be able to shave 1 less time a month and have visibly softer & thinner hairs that grow back
Can I use this product in other areas I have if I suffer irritation for example under arm?
- Yes you can, in fact the active molecule has been clinically tested for under armpit use as well with similar results of 56% less visible hair growth. Please the soothing & super-moisturizing ingredients should prevent any unwanted sensitivity and irritation
Can I use this product if I wax, how many days should I used it for post wax?
- Absolutely! This product is ideal for any type of hair removal to take control of not only reducing the regrowth of your hair without expensive treatments, but also to prevent ingrown hairs that stem from shaving, waxing and other techniques.
Is this suitable for internal use?
- Whilst this product will not imbalance you, in any which way, there is no need to use this product internally.
Intimate Soothe and Smooth Shave Gel
What is the recommended routine for shaving my intimate area?
- Use our Intimate Purifying Cleanser to wash and scrub your vagina, taking care to gently exfoliate the area you wish to shave. Apply a small amount of the Intimate Soothe & Smooth Shave Gel across the area you intend to shave and leave for a minute. Shave precisely and then rinse the remaining gel and area off with luke warm water. Once you have dried off, apply Intimate Perfect Skin Concentrate to the pubic area that you want to keep smooth and hair free.
How can I maintain healthy skin post shaving?
- Your intimate skin is exactly the same as the skin on the rest of your body. It needs cleaning, preening and moisturizing to be at its best. Once you have cleansed and dried yourself off, apply Intimate Perfect Skin Concentrate to the pubic area that you want to keep smooth, soft and hair free.
What are the reasons behind ingrown hairs?
- Hair normally grows out of a pore called a follicle. An ingrown hair occurs when the tip of the hair is caught in the follicle, or trapped by other grease or dirt in the upper layers of the skin but the hair continues to grow. This can cause inflammation, pain, irritation and infection in some instances.
Why use this product surely soap will work?
- Anything that scrubs the skin in theory can help prevent ingrown hairs. However, the skin is not only complex, but very tough and just washing will not necessarily reach the parts of the skin where the hair starts to get caught. Our special ingredients of exfoliating fruit acids and purifying salicylic acid help break down the dead layers of the skin that could trap hairs so that all the hair follicles are able to grow smoothly and properly, eliminating ingrown hairs and their symptoms.
Intimate Protection Barrier Cream
Can I use this product in the swimming pool?
- Yes this product can be used in dry and wet environments no matter what sport you play.
Is this product suitable to use in the shower
- Yes, however we recommend that post exercise you should wash and cleanse your intimate area as normal with SASS Intimate Purifying Cleanser and if you need extra support apply SASS Intimate Recovery Serum
Can I use the product internally?
– Whilst SASS Intimate Protection Barrier Cream will not knock you off-balance and interrupt you vaginal balance, we do not recommend use internally. Should you be experiencing dry skin internally, you may have vaginal dryness where a more suitable product would be Intimate Dryness Gel. Should you still be sore and in pain you should seek expert help
Is this suitable for daily use?
- Yes, this can be used everyday to help your intimate skin recover from exercise-induced soreness and irritation. However, if symptoms persist, rest and seek expert advice.
Can I use the product internally?
- Whilst SASS Intimate Recovery Serum will not knock you off-balance and interrupt you vaginal balance, we do not recommend use internally. Should you be experiencing dry skin internally, you may have vaginal dryness where a more suitable product would be Intimate Dryness Gel. Should you still be sore and in pain you should seek expert help.
Intimate Dryness Gel
Is this product suitable to use within sexual intercourse?
- Yes this product is suitable for internal use. If pain or irritation continues, please seek expert advice.
How long will I be hydrated for?
- Every woman is different. However a small dose should disperse enough to give 24 hours comfort and relief. If more is required, there is no problem using more gel to comfort and ease. However, if pain or irritation continues, please seek expert advice.
What causes vaginal dryness?
- There are 4 main cause of vaginal dryness.
- Low oestrogen levels which may be be a result of many effects like the menopause, childbirth, breastfeeding, medical conditions linked to ovaries, immune disorders and cigarette smoking.
- Some medications like decongestants
- An autoimmune disease called Sjogren’s Syndrome
- Over-washing with inappropriate products
Do I not need an applicator?
- This is a personal preference, you do not need an applicator to apply as this is not very often a nice experience for women, but there is no detrimental effect to using one.
How long is it recommended I keep using this product?
- You can use this product as much and as often as you like. If you have persistent symptoms you should seek medical advice from your Doctor to check the main cause and ensure there is nothing else you can do to alleviate your symptoms that is connected to your wider health or lifestyle.
Will my symptoms disappear completely?
- You are unique. Depending on what has caused the dryness it would be difficult for us to say. If you are worried about dryness and irritation being an ongoing problem you should seek expert help and get a personalized assessment of your condition and what the short and long term effects are.
When is the best time of day to use this product?
- Just before going our to start your day is the best time to ensure full day coverage. However, everybody is unique, and applying as much as you want as often as you want will have no adverse side affects so long as you do not use so much so it seeps through the vagina.
Intimate pH Balance Serum
How is this different to recovery serum?
- This product is specifically for those days where you do not feel at your balanced because of either types of environments you have been in, different clothes being earn too much (like tights or skinny jeans) or over-exertion potentially in the form of too much sex. This is mechanically-induced soreness and irritation caused by exercise, which is what the Recovery Serum is specially designed for.
How does this product differ from Intimate Freshness Gel?
- The serum uses probiotics to focus on rebalancing the vaginal bacteria whereas the freshness gel more targets the protection of the intimate area from unwanted odours and confidence-enhancing cotton-fresh fragrance.
Does this product specifically treat thrush?
- Directly this product does not treat thrush. You will need to visit a pharmacist to treat thrush. This product helps to bring you back from the brink of the onset of diseases like thrush and BV by helping to balance the level of good bacteria versus bad bacteria and therefore the pH balance of the vagina.
General SASS Frequently Asked Questions
Can these be used if I have thrush?
- Yes, these products can be used if you are in the middle of a thrush infection but that cannot independently treat thrush. You must immediately see a doctor or pharmacist to get specific thrush treatments
How do I know these products are safe to use?
- All of our products have been clinically tested by both dermatologists and gynaecologist’s. All of these products are safe for general use. Of course, every woman is unique and if you find that there is a reaction, please stop using immediately and get in touch with us.
Is it safe to have oral / sexual intercourse with these products?
- All of our will not negatively affect oral or penetrative sexual intercourse. Obviously, any oral sex will just means you will smell and taste like SASS rather than natural odours and tastes.
Are there any side effects from using any of the products?
- All of our products have been clinically tested and approved by dermatologist and gynaecologist’s with no adverse side effects. However, all women are unique and if you do experience side effects, please stop using the product, seek medical attention and let us know.
What is the difference between a yeast infection and a bacterial infection which products are best for each?
- Both yeast and bacterial infections are caused by microbes that cause infection and unwanted effects like burning, itching, discharge and odour. Yeast infections are from fungal species, like Candida for thrush and bacterial infections are from lots of different types of unwanted bacteria that causes a general condition known as Bacterial Vaginosis (BV). Both of these infection types occur when the natural balance of good bacteria and bad bacteria is thrown out of kilter. To manage this balance everyday, the Intimate Purifying Cleanser is the best product, and if you think you need something a little stronger to get you back to your best, opt for the Intimate pH Balance Serum.
I’m trying to conceive can I use SASS products?
- SASS does not have a positive or negative impact on fertility. However, fertility is complex and any doubt whatsoever must be followed up with a medical expert to ensure you get the optimal advice for conceiving.
I have experienced irritation since using SASS products is this normal should I continue to use them?
- If you are experiencing ongoing irritation with the products you should stop using SASS right away and seek expert advice. It may well be that you, being unique, do not get on with SASS or you may have a medical condition that needs expert treatment.